I’ve been tagged by a Twitter buddy, Jamie Dougan (@JamieTDougan), to list the ten things I couldn’t live without. You can read his here.You can also download his short erotic story here for only 77p - what have you got to lose?
So here are my ten essentials - and I also tag my friends Michelle Betham, Donna Trinder and Ness.
2. My garden. I couldn’t imagine not having an outside space to call my own. As I type this blog, I’m sitting at my wooden table with the sun shining down and a soft breeze in the air. It’s my little bit of paradise.
3. My cats. Call me soppy but I love them so much. Whenever we consider moving I always judge the house by the road. Too much traffic is a no-no. The story of my cats is here.
4. My laptop. I write my books, sell them, meet people, tweet people and can find out anything I need to. On the couple of times it’s had a virus or a wobble, I’ve gone into meltdown. I NEED it!
5. My bath. No matter how tired or how many glasses of wine I may have had forced on me (!), I have to end my day with a soak. Bubbles and a soft towel are the perfect end to any day.
6. My bed. People think I’m joking when I say that I could sleep for sixteen hours but I could! I love going to bed and I never want to get up. My favourite is a Friday night sleep when I like to ‘relish’ - rub the sheets with my feet, snuggle down and know that it’s not an early morning. Bliss! I blogged about bed here.
7. Tea, coffee and wine. Yep, love them all. I start the day with tea, move on to coffee and water, then wine in the evening and a cup of tea in bed. The tea has to be PG TIPS, the coffee is ideally a latte and the wine anything white, dry and cold. I also dabble in the odd cheeky red, if pushed.
8. OK, shoot me down and it is a bit odd to say that I can’t live without them because they are obviously killing me but … FAGS! I can’t do without them. Disgusting, I know, but I’m nothing if not honest. Let’s leave it there shall we …?
9. Music. My lovely dad always said he couldn’t imagine a world without it and I feel the same. It can lift your spirits, give you inspiration, make you cry and give you that lovely spine tingle. I love everything from musicals to heavy metal - and, trust me, living with a 16 year old, I am subjected to enough of that! I’m usually quite tolerant but at 8am on the journey to school with London cyclists cutting me up it can be a bit of a tester - his musical choices have been known to make me feel murderous.
10. Books - and my Kindle. When I was sitting in the school car park for three years (blog here) they were my lifeline. At that time I just had paperbacks or library books but now I have my trusty Kindle (thanks to some lovely Aussie friends). In a good book, I can lose myself and my troubles and be transported to another world. Everyone should know the joy of totally throwing themselves into a novel - whether it be for a laugh, a thrill, a mystery or a love affair. You just can’t beat it.
So there you go … ‘Mummy Misfit Essentials’. I also quite like chocolate, cakes, biscuits, Marmite, avocados, toast, garlic, lentils, Nivea cleanser (as agreed with Jamie!), dogs, shopping, my hair straighteners, make-up, handbags, shoes, dinner parties, the theatre, Come Dine With Me and old British sitcoms. But that would have been greedy!
Also tune into my radio show every Tuesday at 8.30 - live from my kitchen table.