Tuesday 30 October 2012

Reader Appreciation Award Nomination


It’s a week of short, sharp, snappy answers as I’ve been tagged by three Twitter friends and want to cover them all.

First up is my friend Michelle Betham (whose books and blog can be found here) who nominated me for a 'Reader Appreciation Award'. 


Michelle asks:

What’s your favourite book/books of all time?

I can’t say I have a favourite book, but my fave writers are Maeve Binchy and Lisa Jewell.  I love their wonderfully unravelling plots and character development. 

What time of day do you prefer to write?  Do you have a routine?

When it’s not the school holidays I write from about 8.30 until 4, Monday to Friday.  If a plot’s really powering along I’ll also write at the weekend and in the evenings.  My only routine is to crack on!

Who or what inspired you to pick up a pen and write?

I’ve always loved writing and have done so for as long as I can remember - I blame Enid Blyton and Noel Streatfield, the authors I grew up on.

How do you get the inspiration to create characters for your books?

I really don’t know!  They come from nowhere - a bit spooky really.  Oh, and I love to ‘people watch’ - that helps.

Random one here … Favourite TV programme.  Have you got one?

From the past, ‘The Good Life’ and the present, ‘Come Dine With Me.’

If you won the lottery, what would be the first thing you'd buy?

I’d clear my debts and buy an instant ticket to get my hubbie to Oz to share the weekend with his family.

What makes you nervous and why?

Everything!  I’m a Nervous Nelly, as my hubbie calls me.

Have you ever bought anything from a home shopping channel, and if you have, what was it?

I haven’t, no.  If funds allowed, I could quite easily be a shopaholic so I think buying from the comfort of my sofa could be dangerous.  eBay is too tempting already!

And finally ... bath or shower?  Which do you prefer?

Easy, peasy - huge bubble bath EVERY night - the perfect way to end my day and dream up new plots.

Thanks for those Michelle.

Next up is a set of questions from writer friend Tucker @JamieTDougan.  His blog and books can be found here.

Where do you do most of your writing/blogging?

I vary between the kitchen table and the sofa upstairs in the living room but just this last week I picked up a gorgeous old school teacher’s desk in a charity shop.  This is where I can be found now - with a soppy grin on my face.



Favourite book or books from your childhood?

As mentioned before all the Blyton and Streatfield books - my first introduction to ‘chicklit’ - stories for girls.

Who is your favourite fictional character?

Elvira from Noel Coward’s play ‘Blythe Spirit’ - she’s such a flirt and so mischievous.  I always wanted to play her in my thespian days but sadly, never did.

Have you ever Googled yourself and been shocked at what you found?

I now know that I have to Google myself every day (sounds rude) as, after I’d finished my free promo for the Diary, we realised that pirate sites had got hold of it and were continuing to give it away for nothing.  We keep a daily check on them now and get them to remove them.

What's your favourite time of the day and why?

I love early evening - time for a glass of wine, a chat with my mum and to reflect on the work I’ve achieved that day.

Who would play you in the movie of your life?

Meryl Streep - I think she’s an amazing actress and can literally become anyone - she’s a witch, I tell you!  Hubbie would prefer Kylie.



One material possession that you absolutely could not live without?

My car.  It’s essential every single day for my mum and son.  Without it, our lives would fall apart.

Have you ever been naked in public?

No!  And anyone that tells you otherwise is lying!

What is your dream car?

Ah!  *runs off to Google for the umpteenth time to have a sneaky look* The Bentley Continental Convertible.  Might need to sell a few more books though!


 I’ve also been nominated by my friend Donna Trinder at ‘Room ForReading’ and I need to give five random facts about myself.  As I’ve been tagged on this subject in the past, I’ve had to try to dig a little deeper.  So, here we go …
  1. I love to read while I’m cooking - stir, stir, chop, chop, read, read.
  2. My oldest friend of over thirty years suffers from Tourette’s.
  3. I love lists.  I make a list for everything.  This indulges my passion for fancy notebooks!
  4. I never have naked nails - they are always painted.
  5. My dad and I promised that we’d meet in heaven - and we will.

As part of the rules of Michelle and Tucker’s nomination, I need to devise questions and pass on the award to a fellow blogger.  These questions go to Donna.

What is your strength?
What is your weakness?
You have two gorgeous sons.  Would you have liked a daughter and, if so, what would you have called her?
Where do you see yourself in ten years time?
If you could have ANYTHING for Christmas, what would it be?
If you could only listen to one album for the rest of your life, what would it be?
What would be your dream fancy dress costume?

Phew!  Hope you made it through all of those and thanks to Michelle, Tucker and Donna for giving me food for thought.

Don’t forget my latest novel ‘Stilettos & Stubble’ will be released on Kindle and at Lulu on 28th November - ‘It’s what’s inside that counts!’

3 comments:

  1. I'd definitely share the Bentley ;o)

    Love your answers, you never fail to entertain me & I think you're one of the most vivid and interesting people I have to pleasure of being friends with!

    And thank you, I really look forward to answering these!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was tagged by Jamie too! I loved reading your answers. Glad you liked my review xx
    http://eternally28.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/reader-appreciation-award-nomination.html?m=1
    My answers to the same questions on my blog here xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always nice to read the answers to these random questions ,it's a bit like reading a book where the main character reveals more about herself.

    ReplyDelete