Wednesday 4 April 2012

Less Calories Than An Egg!

I’m celebrating 'myself' on the blog this week!

I’ve had a pretty miserable few days (back problems, family dramas and difficulties with friends) so I decided to cheer myself up and have a read of my latest reviews for ‘Diary of a Mummy Misfit’.

Within seconds, I was smiling!  I’ve been so fortunate with my reviews and I cherish every single one of them.  I’m never sure if readers know how much their thoughts mean to writers but they truly make us feel like we’ve done something right - our stories and our characters are being enjoyed.  I always say to reviewers, ‘Your words help to sell mine’ and it is SO true.

A good review is priceless.  So today I will share with you my latest.  If you’ve not read a Misfit book yet, maybe these can convince you that your £1.91/$2.99 will be well spent.  Treat yourself for Easter and enjoy some calorie free fun!


****


Libby Marchant wants to give her four year old son Max a good education so she is willing, along with husband Ned, to sacrifice luxuries and holidays so that they can pay for their son's education. When Max is accepted into the most sought after private school in their area, Manor House Prep School, Libby finds that not only is it difficult finding the school fees each term but that it is difficult for her to fit in with the other mums "The meemies" with their rich lifestyles and snobbish ways. The book is written in a fast pace and you really will want to read this book in one sitting. You just can not put it down. We are taken through Libby's diary for a full year as she not only struggles to get Max through his first school year, but finds herself struggling to fit in with the other mums due to the social class that they are projecting. This Chick Lit novel is well worth the read; it is an enjoyable and entertaining read that with its good humour and great characters will have you laughing out loud at times. I look forward to reading Amanda Egan's next book.
Nikki Bywater


As a true country bumpkin, I absolutely loved this book as I found myself sailing away on an ocean of "how the other half live"! It is an hilarious and fabulously written account of life as a busy mum, devoted wife, loyal friend and someone whom I would love to spend a week away with. I liked the character of Libby from the outset and could totally imagine her life as she tried to fit in with the elite and wealthy. I've just downloaded the sequel to this book, The Darker Side of Mummy Misfit, and I can't wait to open it up on my Kindle this evening. Brilliant piece of writing by Egan, well worthy of the five stars I have rated it.
Kathryn Brown
Author


If you want a good easy read then this is the book for you. It's well written & I think we all at some point feel the same way Libby has done about Meemies, we all know a Meemie whoever we are. This is well written & so easy to read. I didn't want it to end. Amanda writes from the heart & has had me laughing & crying with her, she made me feel part of the book & not an outsider looking in. Mrs S & P are great people & wouldn't we all love a friend like F & her "out of date Moet, Sweedie"?  This would make a fantastic TV show. I'm halfway through The Darker Side & loving this just as much & can't wait for Amanda to write her next book.
I downloaded these so I could read them whilst on holiday but will have finished them before I go but will read them again whilst I'm away & sit chuckling whilst sipping my cocktails.
Thanks Amanda for your wonderful books.
Ness


I cannot begin to say how much I enjoyed this book. Maybe my un-vaccuumed floors, silent treadmill and unwatched programmes on my generic TV hard drive can indicate how long I have spent just sat reading it! I think all Mummies can identify with the issues Libby faces in this book, I know I certainly can!
Definitely worth buying!
Donna Trinder


A friend of mine recommended this book via Twitter and thought I'd give it a go. I thoroughly enjoyed it - a "ripping good yarn". I lived in the area in which the story is set in my single 20s and was something of a misfit myself so it was fun to see the principle character - Libby -  take on the whole "Fulham set" a bit further down the line. It's a fun read and I'd definitely recommend it.
Amy


I don't know what made me buy this, but I'm glad I did! I love the characters and I love the format of a diary - not my usual type of book at all. Once I started reading I couldn't put it down! The characters are well constructed and recognisable not just from the public school set, but at every school gate in the country. It’s crammed with giggles and fabulous lines that I'm determined to commit to memory to use as my own next time I meet 'that sort of person'. Brilliant book and I'd recommend it to any mum that has run the school gates gauntlet!
Jenny


I positively devoured this book. It's a very easy read and one that can't be put down. It's for anyone that can relate to the high maintenance crowd at the school gate who judge every book by its cover. Their priorities are Botox, gossip and their husbands’ fat pay cheques - the misfits are the ones who live life rather than act it. At the end I grieved finishing and immediately bought the Darker Side!
Emma J Quarmby


I absolutely loved this book! Why? Well, firstly, it was really well written with characters that came to life and a story that kept you hooked right through to the end. The main character - Libby Marchant - was written in such a way that you really cared about her, and in Diary of a Mummy Misfit Amanda Egan has written a story which is not only laugh-out-loud funny, it's also touching, and I found myself eagerly willing Libby on with every turn of the page.
There are characters in this book that I absolutely fell in love with (I think I want to marry Libby's wonderful husband Ned!), and characters that I hated, and that was all down to the author's writing and her ability to create people that were fabulous (the fantastic Fenella being one of them!), and others that were just loathsome - and you'll know who THEY are when you read the book! ;-) If you love a good, well written slice of British Chick Lit, and a story that will entertain and touch you, then I strongly urge you to give Diary of a Mummy Misfit a go. I don't think you'll be disappointed! I myself can't wait to read the sequel. Amanda Egan is an author to watch, that's for sure.
Michelle Betham
Author

You can check out all my other reviews at Amazon.co.uk/Amazon.com and also at Lulu.
So what have you got to lose?  Both books are available on Amazon for Kindle and in paperback at Lulu.
Give yourself a giggle for Easter - less calories than an egg!

2 comments:

  1. Hope you have a better day today.

    carol x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You deserve every one of those fantastic reviews. :-) You're an incredibly talented writer, and don't you ever forget it. :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete