Friday 14 February 2014

FUNKY FRIDAY - with author Suzy Turner



Today I shine the spotlight on YA and chicklit writer Suzy Turner.  

Suzy, describe yourself as a writer in five words.

Dreamy, Spontaneous, Imaginative, Creative, Inspired

What are the best and worst things about writing for you?

The worst thing about writing is the editing process. I find after doing it a couple of times, I get so bored and want to move onto the next book already! The best thing, other than actually creating whole new worlds, is the positive feedback from readers. It makes everything worthwhile (even the editing!).

I couldn't agree more with you! OK. it's your dream week as a writer - anything can happen!  Tell us about it.

Monday morning I get a call from a huge Hollywood producer who devoured my latest book and is desperate to make it into a movie. She asks if I can hop on a plane to LA pronto to discuss. 'Hell Yeah!' I reply. 'Good, there's first class tickets waiting at the airport for you and your husband.'

The rest of the week is spent in an LA daze after I signed a several million dollar contract for the movie to be made - and they've already got two of Hollywood's top actors vying for the lead role ;)

Sounds a bit like my dream week!  What are your top tips for writers' block?

Put on some inspirational music (if I'm writing YA urban fantasy, then it should be something a little dark like the movie soundtrack to Premonition or Twilight. If I'm writing Chick Lit, I want something upbeat and romantic, like the Glee soundtrack lol!)

Alternatively, switch off the computer and go and watch your favourite movie or TV show. Or - watch one of those shows about Hollywood stars who've made it big (that always makes me want to get right back to the computer and produce my best work!).

And then there's Pinterest - it always gives me great ideas and helps me to write.

How do you deal with the dreaded bad review - are you a sulker of a shrugger?

When I first started out, I guess I was a sulker until my author pals made me realise it's just one bad review among hundreds of brilliant ones. So now I'm a shrugger. I've come to realise that not everyone has the same tastes and the world would be a boring place if they did.

If you were offered a squillion pounds to never write again, would you take it?

I'm afraid I would take it. I know, I know, not very authorly of me but a squillion pounds?!?! Instead of writing, I'd just start reading a heck of a lot more instead ;)

QUICK FIRE ROUND

Planner or Winger?
Winger

Night or Morning?
Neither! I prefer the middle of the day

Doer or procrastinator?
Both!

Writing/first draft or editing?
Writing/first draft

Tea or coffee?
Rooibos Tea


Thanks for stopping by, Suzy, it was good to find out more about you.
Links to follow Suzy, chat or buy books.

 The works of Suzie Turner
*****NEWSFLASH *****
Too busy for a newsflash!  I'm about to hit 50 and I am in complete party mode.  Thank you all for your kind wishes and I'll see you when I come out the other side!

No comments:

Post a Comment