Tuesday 18 September 2012

The Next Big Thing

This past week has seen both the Mummy Misfit books in the Top 50 (UK) in PAID humour for Kindle on Amazon!  My free promo days seemed to raise my profile and I’ve been selling more books than ever before!

Good, huh?

So it seems rather appropriate that I should have been tagged by my Indie buddy, Michelle Betham, to introduce to you The Next Big Thing’.

This is where I have the opportunity to answer questions on my current work in progress.  You can read Michelle’s here.

So, here goes. 

What is the working title of your book?

Book Four will be called, Stilettos and Stubble’ ©.  You heard it here first.  The title is mine and no one can pinch it, OK? 

Where did the idea come from for the book?

The world of drag clubs has always fascinated me and I’m a massive fag hag so, once the seed of a plot popped into my head, I grabbed it and ran with it.  I also wanted a less than perfect heroine and watching Miranda Hart one night gave me the perfect inspiration. 

What genre does your book fall under? 

‘Stilettos and Stubble’ will be a rom-com. 

Which actors would you choose to play your characters on screen?

My lead, Persephone (or Percy as she prefers to be called!) would be played by Miranda Hart.  She needs to be larger than life, a little ungainly and an expert at putting herself down. 



You may be surprised to see such a glam picture of Miranda but it needed to be this one for a reason.  Much of the production would see her looking as polished as this - but of course we’d also get to see the scruffy Miranda we’ve grown to know and love!

As for the ‘love interest’ that’s a bit tricky because he needs to be taller than Miranda and strikingly good looking.  Research was fun though and if the lovely Gerard Butler could bulk himself up just a tad more, he’s got the job!


Another vital character in the book is the owner of the drag club, Annie Vestite.  Oh such an easy decision here.  I bring you the fantabulosa Julian Clary.



What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

‘It’s what’s inside that counts.’ 

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

I'll remain an Indie writer unless I’m snapped up by an agent I have complete faith in. 

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

I started work in May and I plan to have the first draft finished by mid-October.  The book will be launched at the beginning of December. 

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

Hmm, not sure about that one.  I’d like to think it has the humour of Jill Mansell and Sophie Kinsella but it’s something that really hasn’t been done before so, … well … who knows? 

Who or what inspired you to write this book?

Back to Miranda Hart again!  So many books seem to have perfectly petite heroines with high flying careers and men dropping at their feet.  I wanted a ‘real’ woman with failed dreams and ‘issues’. 

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

What’s not to love?  Glitz, glamour, humour, bitching, love and friendship all rolled into one.

So watch this space.  ‘Stilettos and Stubble’ will hit the Amazon and Lulu shelves in December.  And remember, it’s what’s inside that counts!

I now tag two fellow authors and Twitter pals. 

Jamie Dougan - you can find his three books here and currently all proceeds are going to Cancer Research. 

Robert Daws - introducing the 2nd in his Sullivan and Broderick Mysteries with ‘Poisoned Rock’.  The first in the series is called ‘The Rock’ and can be found here. 

Currently all three of my books are available to buy at Amazon UK and Amazon.com for Kindle.  Also in paperback at Lulu.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I want to read this book SO MUCH! It sounds fantastic, Amanda! So I for one am very much looking forward to December. I really can't wait to read it. :) Brilliant casting too, by the way. ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to another fabulous book.

    CJ x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm working on mine now. Thanks for tagging me Amanda and for the plugs for my eBooks :)

    ReplyDelete